BackPacking/Fishing Trip Kings Canyon California?

I’m wanting to do a backpacking/fishing trip through kings canyon and was needing some help finding a trail with those 2 hings in mind. every website ive been to so far has been no good. I’m planing on going middle November when its nice and cold. Also is there any good fishing during November up there at that time?

Powered by

3 thoughts on “BackPacking/Fishing Trip Kings Canyon California?

  1. first off start looking in the right place the Kings canyon national park web site has all that info,

    Or use a good trail finder

    November is traditionally a very wet month for California, rivers and streams will rise to high and dangerous levels so the fishing will actually be miserable at best. Also that is the begining of winter and temps drop quickly. The possibility of snow and lots of it are very real so be prepared for winter style camping and know how to get help quick should you get in trouble

  2. I remember camping in Sequoia one Halloween in a foot of wet snow. Be certain that you want the rigors of winter camping before you head out and do not stray too far from transportation routes to get yourself out of the mountains after your camping trip.

  3. Mid-November in the Sierra Nevada Mountains is not a time for the inexperienced. Any trail above 4,000 feet could be clear or snow covered with feet of snow, varies from season to season. The higher in elevation you go not only increases the chances of snow on the ground, the severity of any storms also increases. Another point, stream fishing season closes the last week of October for most streams in California.

    Traveling that time of year has it’s risks and the stakes can be quite high. Few years ago while backpacking at 7,000 feet during end of October I encountered an unpredicted storm that lasted two days and dropped over two feet of snow. After the storm let up I had to pack 8 miles through more than 2 feet of new snow without any way of recognizing the trail. I expected to get to the trail head, spend the night, then in the morning abandon my pick-up and hike 25 more miles to get to a maintained/snowplowed road. Fortunately for me there was a logging crew working in the area of the trail head, they had to snowplow the road to get their equipment out. They were caught by surprise by the storm or they would have removed their equipment before it hit. If they hadn’t plowed the road I wouldn’t have been able to get my truck out until the following June and would have had to hike for two more days to get out.

    Another time at a lake, ( 9,500 feet elev.) on October 13th, overnight low of 7 degrees with 40 to 50 m.p.h. wind gusts. We decided to pack out two days early, got to the trail head/highway at 1:30 p.m. and went home. At 4:30 p.m. they closed the highway and didn’t re-open it until July 2nd. The road closure point would have been 40 miles from where we were parked, a long hike, especially in fresh snow and unplanned.

    Wouldn’t wish either one of those experiences on someone. Plan well and know what you are getting into. Try to speak directly with a Ranger who patrols the back country you are entering.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>